I’m sharing this today for the adoptees that we have lost. For the ones who are struggling. For the adoptees who feel that they can’t voice their feelings/thoughts.
This is a heart wrenching, yet real statistic that requires our attention. The following link provides helpful information and insights for the parents of adoptees. I strongly encourage you to read it, implement the advice that it offers and hopefully we can change this statistic.😢
* Never expect gratitude
* Allow them to express “tough” emotions.
* Keep an eye out for self-medicating.
* Talk with your child/children about their past (genetic/cultural history)—and make sure that sometimes YOU bring it up.
* Provide mirrors for your adopted child—especially if he/she “sticks out” in your family.
* Lobby for their health history information.
If you — or someone you know — need help, please call 1-800-273-8255 for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. If you are outside of the U.S., please visit the International Association for Suicide Prevention for a database of international resources.